Monday, April 17, 2006

Senior Appreciation Game

Saturday was the "big" game...J 's team played at 12:30 and won! (First time up to bat he hit a double and the crowd went wild!)





When we walked into the field, there were posters of all the Seniors. My heart skipped a beat when I saw my son up there on that board!


Moms (who wouldn't normally give me the time of day) were surrounding me, telling me what a handsome son I had and what a cute baby he was.

I was so proud!

Of course I agreed with them and my chest stuck out a little bit more as I went to my seat. As I watched J play his game, there was excitement all around. Green and gold balloons on the home (Monterey) team side and red and white balloons on the visitors (Carmel) side. After the JV team won, the contests started. To my surprise, N was chosen to participate in all three.
The Homerun Derby (Both teams had 4 representatives to take turns hitting the ball out of the park) Carmel won that one.
The Relay (Both teams had 6 reps (two teams of 3) to throw the ball from the outfield fence -240 ft- to 2nd base and then to the catcher) Nick was the guy at 2nd base. Monterey won that one.
Finally The Base Running The guys were timed running the bases. One time Nick made it in 7.2 seconds and the next time he had a slow time of 9 seconds (he hit the "wall") .
Then they announced that all of the senior parents were to meet on the side of the field. I quickly put my lipstick on and nervously went to the field with R and met N there. We walked onto the field to the pitcher's mound and were announced one by one. My heart was beating as they read the following statement we wrote:
"Ni ~We are so proud to be your parents! You have worked hard and have achieved so much, in academics and sportsmanship. We smile everytime we think of the person you have become. You have proved that hard work and perseverance can bring you all of your dreams. May all your dreams come true! We love you, Love Mom and Dad~"

When we got to home plate, another player gave me a yellow rose.
Very sweet.
As we stood there with our son, I realized that this was the beginning of the activities toward graduation. I also realized that I am not done with this boy/man and I still have a ton of parenting to do! This time flew by quickly. I cannot say that enough. Just yesterday he was learning to walk, and now he is ready to fly.

No comments: